For anyone who doesn’t know, I made a brave decision to move to the NJ/NY area, and I have officially survived this crazy place for three weeks now. Some days are better than others, but overall, it has been life changing. I have, however, learned so much about this foreign world that I wanted to share with anyone who might be curious.
So here are my amateur NY tips for anyone who wants to know or wants to be wild like me and move up here straight out of college. Starting from most important lol.
- There is no good mexican food here. NONE. No happy hour margaritas. No queso. No El Paso. Ugh the list goes on.
- However, the pizza is on point. Always.
- With the pizza being so good, I may or may not of gained a few pounds. But, you’ll most likely walk everywhere so you’ll have kick ass legs after a few weeks.
- Subways are the scariest thing ever. Or maybe I’m just dumb. Refer back to 3. – I walk. a lot.
- Moving so far away, you can truly start over. Forget the past. Forget the horrible people and delete any negative person in your life.
- People are actually so kind. The stereotypical northerner does not exist, and they all think southern accents are cute so I’m actually winning.
- The wind is the worst thing my hair and I have ever experienced.
- The views are great though, and you’ll never get tired of seeing something new in the city.
- Everything isn’t actually that expensive, but don’t go shopping in Soho. All I gotta say.
- Lastly, always be confident and never let your guard down especially when you’re alone in the city.
Most importantly, moving so far away is like living in a world you never knew existed. Sure we see the city in movies and shows, but actually experiencing it is a totally different story. My advice to anyone who is eager to get out of their small town – DO IT. Do not even think twice. You will grow, prosper, and learn that there are so many bigger, better opportunities than your small hometown has to offer. It’s been a journey these first few weeks, but it’s a journey I wouldn’t trade for the world.
Have a great day loves and stay warm. ❤